[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patches to be added (diffs

To: col@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sound patches to be added (diffs
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:19:34 +0200

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:45:39AM +0200, col@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > I think that play and the bash writes a good understandable error message
> > > stdout / stderr so we don't have to do this.
> >
> > What if the freeciv log is redirected with "-l" and the user will only
> > look at it and not the normal std/stderr?
>
> Come on, I don't think that making a hundred lines of code is better
> than telling the user to have a look @ stderr if sound fails.

I don't like the idea that a command freeciv starts writes
uncontrolled to stdout/stderr. Either the command fails and freeciv
should display the message of the command or the command works and its
output should be sent to /dev/null.

> > > Why not ?!
> >
> > The question is still: Why? Why include the names at all? Why is this
> > better for mod makers?
>
> I'll have some more looks @ the sources to do better.

> > > Maybe we have to add a play command for other platforms ?!
> >
> > As a configure option or maybe also as a command line argument.
>
> Who makes the windows/beos/amiga-clients ? Can I mail them ???

See freeciv/PEOPLE, But I would assume they read here as well.

        Raimar
--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere."