[Freeciv-Dev] A patch submission proposal

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] A patch submission proposal
From: Roy Tate <roy_tate@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:38:22 -0700 (PDT)

Several members of the development community have recommended
that we have two CVS branches, one stable branch, and one
experimental branch.  Perhaps we could just have a candidate
patch directory on the FTP site, with a make file for each
compatible collection of patches.  Then if two developers submit
"competing" patches for something, the development community
could try out both solutions without disturbing CVS.  Each patch
in the FTP directory would require a corresponding text file
listing the associated PR# and explaining the purpose of the
patch, and any other patches that it depends on.

If this goes smoothly, perhaps we could add binaries (after we
have makefiles that apply the patches).

BTW, this would make it fairly easy to see what candidate
patches were out there, and ensure that patches were not lost.
Any patch that was not applied would still be out there unless
it was rejected.  If we had a time limit of one week for
candidate patches, then a patch would be committed if it did not
receive negative feedback or have active discussion here.

If the patch descriptions were XML and we had an XSLT, we could
build a web page with all patches, pr#, submission date, author,
description and perhaps links to binaries for various platforms.

Having a web page would make it easier for non-developers to
participate in the testing process.

Regards,

Roy