[Freeciv-Dev] Re: commit early, commit often (was: Submit patch again?)

To: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: commit early, commit often (was: Submit patch again?)
From: Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:10:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] Daniel Sjölie wrote:

[...]
> I don't think that one branch for each patch is a good idea - but I
> certainly think that an UNSTABLE CVS branch would be a really good
> idea... That would be a branch created after every release where patches
> get submitted pretty much as soon as they're compiling... Or something
> like that... :) It should be a lot easier to get in there than to
> current CVS anyway...

A small suggestion (lesson learned by the linux kernel development):
have one 'experimental' branch with a different mantainer, where it's a
bit easier to include patches. In linux words, have an -ac branch, where
is (somewhat) easier to have your patch applied. After you got some
testing and feedback, you can try harder and aim at the main branch.
This is really taking resources away from the main branch (the mantainer),
but with the hope that sooner or later it will pay off. When many people
start to play with the alternate branch instead of the main one, it's time
for the core developers to look at it and consider some of the patches
for inclusion - but they will be tested and proven, at least.

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo