[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Introduction and Patch Approval Process
From: col@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:24:46 +0200

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote ..
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:23:12AM +0200, col@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Yes, I think so. One question: One person said that there would be someone
> > who
> has worked on a sound patch before but noone gave me an e-mail so I can work
> with
> him together... Could someone tell me more about some details of having sound
> in
> freeciv ( I am not very long on this list) so that I can improve my system ?
>
> See the FAQ entry on sound for the whole discussion.

I have taken a little look so far and I think the whole thing is a little bit
controversial ( is that spelled right ?) up to now. It seems for me as if the
whole thing died because the last entry came from Nov 2000 and that's nearly a
year and still no sound in 1.12 (please correct me if I am wrong). The most
ideas I have seen were ahem... I think that the most developpers thought not
easy enough as getting sound output is the easiest thing to integrate due
having such programs as "play" which is nearly available for every platform.
Giving out sound must be an own thread so in fact using "play &" as an command
output is the best way because we don't have to mind all the various sound
modules and other things. "play" is also good tested and used by many other
programs (like licq). Someone thought about a mixer but I think that the sound
drivers all bring a mixer with them. I think that the background music must not
/ need not to be a thing which is provided by freeciv because I!
 think that every collection of MP3s is better than the scum we would provide.
The only thing we could do would be some "introducing" waves which could be
played as "event-sound" which have some short melodies...
So it'll be maybe better to deliver a XMMS-control plugin for freeciv than
creating a MP3 player.
One comment about stability: There is no reason for my patch to be unstable
because in fact we don't have to do more than giving the right file to "play".

So my meaning about the whole thing is, that sound output is easy enough to be
written in one night - that's all.

CU,
David

PS: Someone concerning about using "play" ?