[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.

To: Kevin Brown <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Map coordinate cleanups.
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:59:10 +0200

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 08:43:17AM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:

> Now, let's establish the baseline time for execution of the code
> without calling func():
>
> [kevin@frobozz kevin]$ gcc -O -o /tmp/foo /tmp/foo.c

I haven't looked at the assembler output but is possible that the
compiler removes the loop completely. The actual execution times
however are too large for a body without the loop.

> > Besides, compilers can't optimize functions as well as inlined code.
>
> Is this true of inlined functions?  I have suspicions that it is.  I'm
> not sure how to devise a testcase for this...

AFAIK the current compilers can only inline methods if the compiler
sees the method body at compile time. This leads to such ugly header
files as seen in some C++ code.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Windows: From the people who brought you edlin...