[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more detailed unit report? (was: Submit patch again?)

To: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Zverina, David" <David.Zverina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more detailed unit report? (was: Submit patch again?)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:47:13 +0200

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:48:22PM -0400, Justin Moore wrote:

>    Would this be code integrated into freeciv itself or an addon script to
> parse the gamelog?  I don't think most players are going to have {m,My}SQL
> installed.

I'm thinking of code that would read and write a sequence of civgame.savs.
I don't think C is a good language for it, so if a 'live' connection
to civserver is implemented it will probably have to use a separate
executable.

> It seems like it would be easier to do the latter and just
> have a web interface (perl/php/whatever) to let players look at a whole
> range of stats after the game's over.

That already exists (http://civserver.freeciv.org/) but it doesn't
use the whole of the game data, only a limited set of statistics.

There is one good reason for that: the amount of data is huge.
To hold all of the savegame data for thousands of games you need
substantially more storage and memory than the average PC supplies.

So this is something we'd have to solve.

> Maybe let them download the scripts
> so they have the option of setting up their own database/web interface?

Yes, of course.

--
Reinier