[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Corecleanup patch updates

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Corecleanup patch updates
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:25:10 +0100 (BST)

 --- Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 02:56:40AM +0200, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:
> >
> > You're also assuming that you can normalize x and y coordinates
> > separately.  That's fine for rectangles, cylinders and tori but fails
> > for Möbius strips and Klein bottles.  The last two are perfectly
> > possibly, if a bit odd, choices of topology and it would be kind of
> > fun to support them.
>
> The last two are not perfectly possible. Both those surfaces are
> non-orientable.

I can't see why it is necessary to have orientable surfaces (i.e. having
two separate sides to it, which Mobius strip doesn't) only.  Just make it
"trasparent".  Besides the game is really not on a surface but on a
lattice.

But your main point:
> I can dream up all kinds of orientable surfaces that would be fun or at
> least interesting to try out, but it would be nuts to code or maintain
> the code.
is completely right, I think.

> An interesting problem might be how to handle a flat playing surface in
> the shape of a triangle of circle, or better, a map with holes, or a
> map that wraps to the west but not to the east ;)
or indeed a map where you can only move west and never east...

G.