Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] how to start an all-AI game (was: scorelog/savegame incons

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] how to start an all-AI game (was: scorelog/savegame inconsistencies)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:09:57 +0200

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 10:04:20PM +0200, Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:

> >    As a side note (and trying not to sound too ignorant) how do you run an
> > all-AI game?  I'd like to get a sense of how quickly this will make the
> > saved files grow as time progresses.  Some early numbers have it as
> > growing 1K per player per 10 turns, but I'd like more accurate data.
>
> Fx by starting a game with some AI players as normal and then
> "aitoggle <yourself>". To make the turns go by themself either
> "set timeout 1" or in the client options uncheck "Manual turn done
> in AI mode".

Even 'better:' you can say

  create foo

to have one AI player, then set aifill to whatever you want,
and the game will start.

Originally - when Freeciv didn't have AI - minplayers would could
the number of *connected* players; it counts existing AI players now,
but the AI players created by aifill are still being ignored.

Why don't we just remove minplayers and maxplayers?
Their meaning is unclear, and who would ever use them?

--
Reinier