Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: scorelog/savegame inconsistencies

To: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: scorelog/savegame inconsistencies
From: Justin Moore <justin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:17:38 -0400 (EDT)

> Couldn't you take the score log, truncate it at the year you are
> starting over from, and then append the score data to that?

   Yes, but the average end-user isn't going to want to hassle with that.
I really have no issue mucking about with them myself, but it's just a
matter of convenience.

> When you're talking about using a handheld device, stuff like this matters.
> It's also just wrong to save a large amount of data in memory that is never
> used except to write it back out to disk.

   Then disable it in a handheld device.  My patch doesn't even allocate
the memory if you have it disabled.  It's backward-compatible.  You can do
civscore.log to the file, savegame file, both, or neither.  It's disabled
by default, so just don't turn it on.

> But think about auto saving every turn.  Each time you save you also write out
> another copy of the score log that includes a copy of all the data from the
> previous turn.  The size of the score data grows at O(turns^2) instead of
> O(turns).

   Then only write it out to civscore.log.  No one's forcing anyone to use
it.  It's just a matter of convenience for people that do want to do this;
those that don't save that often or want all their info consolodated in
one file.

-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:  justin@xxxxxxxxxxx