Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: obscuring the capital: natural city names

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: obscuring the capital: natural city names
From: Robert Brady <robert@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:08:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Cameron Morland wrote:

> I set up short lists of cities for the English, French, Canadian, and
> American. More can be added, but really they need to be done by someone
> who understands the language and can see where the city name comes from
> ("Ox-ford", etc). Alternatively cities that are coastal/on a river can be
> used, like San Francisco, even if the name has nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure which is preferable there, but I think it should be
consistent, either way..

But for river cities this shouldn't be the case, basically every English
city is on a river of some sort. (To pick a random example, London).

But if Dover and Bristol are in the "coastal_cities" list for the english,
then so should Southampton, Folkestone, etc etc

Also note -
  torQUAY

Apart from those minor quibbles, looks very interesting... I know I've
often screamed in frustration at seeing my inland cities be called
"-port". :)

--
Robert
hadron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx