Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: obscuring the capital: natural city names

To: FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: obscuring the capital: natural city names
From: "Miguel Farah F." <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:32:39 -0400

 Cameron Morland [13/03/2001 13:36] dijo/said:
>La 2001-03-13, Reinier Post skribis:
>[...]
>I made a patch this weekend that suggests "terrain-appropriate" city
>names. Currently it only cares if the city is coastal or on a river (or
>both), but it's a start, and will remove certainly of what order cities
>were built in. More importantly, it will make city names easier to
>remember, because they are terrain specific.

That's a pretty cool idea. I guess I'll have to take the enormous city
list that I developed for spanish.ruleset to adapt it.

>[...]
>I set up short lists of cities for the English, French, Canadian, and
>American. More can be added, but really they need to be done by someone
>who understands the language and can see where the city name comes from
>("Ox-ford", etc). Alternatively cities that are coastal/on a river can be
>used, like San Francisco, even if the name has nothing to do with it.
>
>An extension of this would be to have a method of generating city names by
>their place. Rivers could be named, then on that river would be cities
>like "Stratford-on-Avon", "Avonbridge", "Avonmouth" and so on. I'm not
>sure if this is a good idea, it's certainly a bit more work. What do you
>think?

I think it's too much work, and little reward for it. And, of course,
cretes new problems: what if two enemy nations have control over parts
of a river? Who gets to name it? What if a river is renamed? What if it
dries up? What about splits? Affluents?

--
MIGUEL FARAH              //   miguel@xxxxx
#include <disclaimer.h>   //   http://www.nn.cl/~miguel