Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: obscuring the capital: natural city names

To: Robert Brady <robert@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx, FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: obscuring the capital: natural city names
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:41:41 +0000

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 06:08:18PM +0000, Robert Brady wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Cameron Morland wrote:
>
> > I set up short lists of cities for the English, French, Canadian, and
> > American. More can be added, but really they need to be done by someone
> > who understands the language and can see where the city name comes from
> > ("Ox-ford", etc). Alternatively cities that are coastal/on a river can be
> > used, like San Francisco, even if the name has nothing to do with it.
>
> I'm not sure which is preferable there, but I think it should be
> consistent, either way..
>
> But for river cities this shouldn't be the case, basically every English
> city is on a river of some sort. (To pick a random example, London).

Indeed basically every city in the world is on a river. And that's no
coincidence!

I would think that we should list every city which is on a river 'big'
enough to appear at Civ scale.  But that would admittedly still
include most british cities.

Also, note that London is also 'coastal', if 'coastal' is defined as
"close enough to the sea that big ships can get in and out". London
was a major port.

Jules