Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dips. OOPS please read this one!

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dips. OOPS please read this one!
From: Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:28:43 -0300

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Thue wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2001 20:09, Jeff Mallatt wrote:

> > >Diplchance is 80 to begin with - 80 percent chance to defeat defending
> > >diplomats! This should rather be around 20, no?
> >
> > From what I read when I implemented it, this (80% for diplchance) works out
> > to be very close to the Civ2 behavior.
> >
> > jjm
>
> But then in civ 2 diplomats are way overpowered! We should lower that value
> considerbly in freeciv mode.
> We also need to raise the cost of inciting and bribing; they are way to cheap
> right now (as seen by the fact that many players builds diplomats exclusively
> for land warfare).
>
> -Thue

I remember one opportunity when I conquered a big nation with lots of cities
(at the beginning, even much more cities than my nation!) only paying the
bribing cost of each city, and most of my cities generating gold by building
improvements and selling them (before the coinage was included in the game).