Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Threads!!??

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Threads!!??
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:07:18 +0100

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 09:17:39PM -0500, Jed Davis wrote:

> In any case, having a shared memory space between the server and a
> "client-side" AI maybe isn't very useful, because a client generally
> doesn't need access to the server's data structures (and the protocol
> tends to be designed with this in mind).

Well, most of the protocol is concerned with transporting the contents
of data structures shared by client and server, so I'm not really sure
about this.  The existing AI was put into the server because the
author felt it had to have much *more* access to server data than
a client for humans; he thought it would be essential to 'cheat'.
I think on the cheating he proved himself wrong: the server AI
doesn't seem to rely on it much.

--
Reinier