Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Threads!!??

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Threads!!??
From: Dirk Stoecker <stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:36:27 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Reinier Post wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 05:41:49PM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
>
> > So keeping these in mind, we could use the pthread library (which is
> > pretty much the universal standard for linux threading), and
> > it wouldn't be too bad.
>
> Isn't it still better to have client-side AI?
>
> Besides, can the pthreads library be bundled with Freeciv for use
> on FreeBSD, Solaris, IRIX, Ultrix, MacOS/X, any other variant of Unix,
> OS/2, MS Windows variants, AmigaOS?  Freeciv runs on all of these.

To all the people wanting to use multithreading: I hope you do not forget
this argument.

Although it is possible in principle to use multithreading, it is in no
way portable. The multitasking/multithreading systems used for different
operating system are very different and cannot be compared. So you would
destroy portability of an important part of the game without winning much.

If the AI should be an own thread, why not make it an own client running
on the same server? And why not let it be an own client running on a
different server? There is no real sense in breaking portability without
proper reason.

Ciao
|____| _|_ |____| _|_    _|_ |____| I hope AMIGA never stops making fun!