Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Threads!!??

To: Jordan Crouse <jordanc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Threads!!??
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 01:21:29 +0100

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 04:54:18PM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> So my read is that this is best left to a client side AI system, spawned
> and maintained locally.  My focus has been working on diplomacy primarly
> for offline play.  Client side is a good solution, but I worry about the
> scaling and complexity that it gives the standard joe who just wants to
> fire up a game and play offline.  I normally set aifill to 4 or 6.  Do

The current AI in the server will stay at least till the client side
AI is equal or better compared to the server AI. The term "better"
should cover game play strength, resource usage and use-ability. So
you don't need to worry that the server AI will get obsolete in the
next time.

> we spawn 6 identical processes?  Is this better or worse than spawning 6
> identical threads, or waiting for the server to crunch options for 6

I haven't worked with threads in C. However I have heared it isn't
easy. Do you have any experience with threads in C. Threads are a nice
concept but so are processes.

> different AI players?  I suppose that is a question for the
> philosophers.
>
> None the less, event processing is an idea who's time has come if server
> side diplomacy is ever going to get off the ground.  But I yield myself
> to the voice of the people, and I will back off of my server side work,
> and offer my services if any of the client side AI folks need someone to
> throw in a couple of extra cycles.

Extra silicon cycles or extra brain cycles?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Just because you put a flag on the moon doesn't make it yours, it just