[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client scripting

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client scripting
From: Andrew McGuinness <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:08:57 +0000 (GMT)

Quoting Sune Kirkeby <sune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [ Reiner Post ]
> > I think what we all secretly hope for is client-specified, server-side
> > scripting.

What *I* would like to see ( and the observant may notice that I've
never even looked like doing anything about it ) is all of the
following:

o AI clients

o Client-side scripting

o Server side "higher-level" functions available to both, like the
current server-side "goto" and "worklist" features.

o Essential client state information saved in savegames server-side

o Inessential client state information saved in client-side save files
(possibly very large for client AIs)

##

Some of the more ambitious ideas (CORBA, server-side scripting
languages) I think would need total restructuring of the whole
application (does anyone know how the C++ project is going?).

On the other hand, I feel the people who are jumping straight into
trying to write client AIs from the current codebase are going to
find it is too much work to handle writing a client and an AI
together.

I think the right approach is what Dirk and Raimar are doing -
improving the interfaces to make AI clients and scripting clients
easier to write and manage.

--
Andrew McGuinness     Luton, UK        andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx