[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client scripting

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client scripting
From: Sune Kirkeby <sune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:14:07 +0100

[ Reiner Post ]
> I think what we all secretly hope for is client-specified, server-side
> scripting.

Actually, what I am hoping for seems to be changing by the minute.
Right now I cannot decide, for instance, if what I would really like
better, is a either freeciv CORBA interface or scripting, be it client-
or server-executed.

Probably because I don't know enough CORBA (by any stretch of the
imagination)...

[ I.Q. ]
> At least not me. You're inviting people on the net to do whatever they
> like with your server. Or you will need to create a new language with
> limited functionality specifically for freeciv.

Not really, since many (if not all?) major, modern scripting languages
include restricted-execution of untrusted code in some form or another.

> Either way, it is going to be inflexible or bloating and always risky.

Inflexible can be fixed (obviously, by programming flexibility into the
scripting-interfaces), bloating I don't know about and, finally, if you
don't like risks I suggest you sever all net-connections.

Regards,

--
Sune Kirkeby                    | "Imagine, if you will, that there were no
http://mel.interspace.dk/~sune/ | such thing as a hypothetical situation..."