[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 02:05:45 +0100

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 11:37:00AM -0600, Tony Stuckey wrote:

[...]
> > This is indeed a valid concern, but I believe a long and interesting game
> > is
> > much better than a short and boring one.  I would rather sit through an
> > 8-hour game where there is at least a possibilty that my space ship would
> > reach Alpha Centauri, rather a 2-hour game where the result is apparent as
> > soon as the first ironclad appears.  But again, that might just be me.
>
>       Apparently, something has changed, and it's now impossible for
> those other players to trade tech with each other and catch up.

Yes, it is indeed impossible.  There is no way to catch up while your main
continent is being torn apart by ironclad-led attacks.  You need max taxes
just to pay for defenses even if you *have* Steam Engine.

Try playing on civserver.freeciv.org sometime.

>       You're not playing in a vacuum.

Um, it's very very tempting to bounce this remark :)

--
Reinier