[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: virtual-freeciv.org-freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 19:44:15 -0500

At 12:58 01-01-02 -0600, Tony Stuckey wrote:
<snip>
        That depends on map size.  Play on a 40x25 generator 2 map with 8
players, and you get ~3 cities.  Embassies are also easy to come by under
these conditions.
        Are people just totally in love with 200x100 maps?

I am absolutely new to FreeCiv (Windows versions) but a veteran of Civ and Civ2 since the very beginning. I'm just trying to adjust to the FreeCiv environment and to resist the temptation of going under the hood (I'm a programmer). My plan is to play only against AI players until such time as I feel competent enough to hold my own in a game against humans on the Internet.

Your above comment concerning map size has opened the door for me to aks the following questions:

1. What size map and what number of AI players should I use in order to for the game to be as close as possible to the type of game that is played between humans? I expect that will make the skills I learn in playing against the AI more easily transferred to games against/with humans.

2. Apart from diplomacy and intelligence level, what are the most important differences in the game when playing with humans.

Thanks for your help,

Robaire