[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: virtual-freeciv.org-freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: Paul Dean <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Jan 2001 09:29:38 +0000

"R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I am absolutely new to FreeCiv (Windows versions) but a veteran of
> Civ and Civ2 since the very beginning. I'm just trying to adjust to
> the FreeCiv environment and to resist the temptation of going under
> the hood (I'm a programmer). My plan is to play only against AI
> players until such time as I feel competent enough to hold my own in
> a game against humans on the Internet.
>
> Your above comment concerning map size has opened the door for me to
> aks the following questions:
>
> 1. What size map and what number of AI players should I use  in order
> to for the game to be as close as possible to the type of game that is
> played between humans? I expect that will make the skills I learn in
> playing against the AI more easily transferred to games against/with
> humans.

I started off playing the AI(with a lot of civ1 experience behind me).
I got to point where I found the hard AI challenging, but not quite
impossible to beat.

Then I played 1 game on the internet against a good player.  I learnt
so much that the hard AI was now *completely trivial* to beat.  I
learnt more in that one game than in 20 games against hard AIs.  Once
you've adjusted to the freeciv rules and know in depth the details of
those rules, then I recommend jumping in at the deep end and playing
humans.  Don't be discouraged if you lose horribly, we all do at
first.

> 2. Apart from diplomacy and intelligence level, what are the most
> important differences in the game when playing with humans.

Intelligence and adaptation.  A human is capable of being even more
aggressive, ruthless and systematic than the AI.

--
Paul
http://www.redeemed.org.uk/