[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Patch: bye bye free city center
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:00:01 +0100

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 10:06:15AM +0000, Paul Dean wrote:
> Robert Brady <robert@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > In particular, by the time your coastal cities are being pounded by
> > enemy Ironclads, you might well not have met another player who is
> > able to make a useful contribution to your research effort.
>
> Then you need to plan ahead.  Notice right at the start that there is
> one player who is very good and may come at your with ironclads.

Yes, this is a possible defense, although I have rarely tried it.
(Diplomacy is too difficult for me.)

> I think this is one of the problems of generator 2 - the chances are
> you won't have met anyone else by the time the aggressor's ironclads
> are harassing you.

If the proper use of diplomacy can solve this, this is just as well:
it's better when game features are actually important to win, and this
may prove the importance of diplomacy.

> > I am of the opinion that Ironclad should happen a lot later in the game
> > (probably after Metallurgy), certainly after most of the colonisation has
> > been finished, and after everyone sensible has had the chance to set up
> > embassies with everyone.
>
> Possibly.  Musketeer are a worthy defense to ironclads.  Gunpowder can
> be the 15th tech researched while steam engine is the 22nd.

Yes, if you decide to cave in, defend, and cooperate with others early on,
this is a possibility.

--
Reinier