[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds

To: Dmitriy Genzel <dg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Sean Quinn <crymedogg1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds
From: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 23:51:45 +0200

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 10:08:29PM -0500, Dmitriy Genzel wrote:
> > What kind of help do you still need with sounds? Do you have a list of
> > events that you already have sounds for, and that you still need sounds
> > for? Or would you rather have anything contributed, and be able to
> > choose? Also, would you like MIDI loops, that would play continuously
> > during the game? Civ's predecessor, "Colonize", was about the
> > colonization of America and had a nice selection of about 30 traditional
> > and patriotic tunes of the period which played randomly during the game.
> > It might be a nice touch to have something of the sort for Freeciv: MIDI
> > files of folk tunes of the represented nations. That's something I could
> > help with.
>
> I have been thinking about this for a long time and would really like MIDI
> sound in Freeciv.

I don't think this is a good idea, because it depends very much on the hardware
you use how well you'll hear those MIDIs. I suggest that something like support
for
module music (such as .xm and .it etc) using mikmod plugin would be much better
choise. But after all - we can listen the music we want, if we want at all so
why should we bother?

--
Terveisin   Tuomas Airaksinen        linux
Kotisivu:   http://tuma.cjb.net/      is all