[Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: more complex unit and battle system
From: "Dalibor Perković" <pdalibor@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:48:09 met

>1.    Unit have experience points

(the maximum is 599, i think). And yes, I'd like that very much. So, with a
number of expirienced carefuly bred units, you can hold off hordes and packs
of inexpirienced aggressive attackers. This rule would do much for "civilizing"
the game :)

>2.    Unit have number (power)

This is *almost* implemented in freeciv and civ2. Only, in civ units are always
destroyed when defeated. If the are able to retreat, this would be self-solved.
And then, you can repair them either by the usual way (wait) or send them to
a city and spend resources (production) to repair them to their previous value,
or less if you have no time. Of course, these two possibilities exclude each
other, so we have to pick one. Both are fine with me.

>3.    In battle, it's not necessary to have one unit completely
>destroyed

See above. Also, maybe it wouldn't be good to paste/copy this to civ, because
it *is* a different type of game. PG is a battle strategy where you do nothing
but fight, and this not-destroying slows it up just to a right proportion.
Inciv,
I think it would slow the game up too much. So, AFAIC, unit that doesn't retreat
should be destroyed.

>4.    Replacement and Elite replacement

This is maybe too detailed to put in civ for my taste. Others may disagree...

>5.    Complex terrain advantages and disadvantages

100% aye. Especially infantry vs. mobile. Also, think about chariots in
mountains
ambushed by simple 1/1/1 warriors. Or knights on a river ambushed by whoever.

>6.    Defensive artillery and anti-aircrafts

I'm not sure about arty, but defensive flaks are something I'm definitely
missing
in civ.

>7.    Morale and suppression

Isn't what you described called "entrenchment" in PG1? If it is, maybe we
shouldn't
copy it too much. While PG has 8 degrees of entrenchment, civ does have 2
(fortified
and not fortified). I wuoldn't mind putting one or two more, but still, battle
in civ should me much more dynamic than in PG in order not to draw your
attention
away from other aspects of the game. And I always hated "rugged defence" because
it depends mosly on luck.

>8.    Rugged defence

Yeah, isn't that supposed to be "entrenchment" bussines? As for morale, (ad.
7) if you have expirience, another such category would be confusing.

>9.    Zones of control

Someone already said allowing units to move through ZOC would mess up the whole
strategy (or tactic) of the game. Zooming in the map (so units can have more
than 1 MP) may be very interesting and I'd certainly like to play it, but it's
questionable how much work would have to be done. Those would be really drastic
changes and I'm not sure it would be worth it. But, if someone is willing to
try, put me in as a tester.

>10.    Upgrading

Yes, you can't have very expirienced units without upgrading. But the problem
is in the game philosophy. In PG you could change the unit type and keep the
same expirienced people because WWII lasted only 6 years. I'm not sure you can
upgrade phalanx to musketeers in such a way that the new soldiers are
expirienced
with muskets as they were with swords and spears. But, if we talk about some
"military tradition" that enables, say, a city or a group of people to be a
bit more effective in battle (because they have a 500 years long military
tradition),
maybe it could get some justification. But we'd have to think of how to really
do it because simply copying the PG system

>11.    Number of unit types

I have enough already, thanx :) Again, this goes into the difference in game
philosophy. PG and civ are just different things.

>12.    Units can be named

Maybe. Would be nice, but not neccesary.

Generally, thanx for mentioning it. Similar thoughts occured to me couple of
years ago, when I didn't even know about FreeCiv. I was thinking of a game that
would be a mix (or a sum) of Master of Orion, Panzer General and Civ. In the
meantime Homeworld and Imperivm Galactica showed up, but haven't played it yet.
And I have the impression it simply isn't it.
      ?
     /|\                           Izitpajn
    /?|\?                       pdalibor@xxxxxx

--