[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Materials in Freeciv

To: Gerhard Killesreiter <killesreiter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Materials in Freeciv
From: Martin Olveyra <bj0v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:59:50 -0300

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> * "Martin" == Martin Olveyra schrieb am Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:57:14 -0300:
>
> > Another feature that must be implemented in this case is a
> > distributed based material managing. That means, any material
> > surplus of a city can be "absorbed" by another cities to complete
> > their respective productions. This is very important due to the
> > relative scarcity of specials.
>
> This will be interesting for making a colonization modpack :)
>
> > 1- Four kind of materials were added --oil, iron, stone, coal--
> > which can represent abstractly a bigger amount of real materials.
>
> Could you take a more general approach? Colonization needs more
> materials :)
>
> > For example, oil can be extracted from seals, whales or mineral oil.
> > Coal material is the production of forests tiles (wood) and coal
> > specials tiles, etc. The code can easily be modified to add or
> > remove materials. (This part is actually done)
>
> This is nice. In colonization you can use cotton to make fabrics, cane
> to make rum, etc.
>
> Cheers,
>       Gerhard

At the moment, I am implementing a ruleset based material managment. So,
there will be a material.ruleset file where you can define all materials you
like. Also, terrain.ruleset is configurable in such a way that different
specials and terrain types will produce the material of your choice. This is
infinite more flexible than the first approach I explain in my first email, and
makes the original case (based only on "shields") just a special case.

I dont understand what do you mean with colonization. Can you explain?