[Freeciv-Dev] Re: wonder balance (was: Blitzkrieg patch)

To: Reed Meyer <rdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: wonder balance (was: Blitzkrieg patch)
From: Marko Lindqvist <caz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:17:59 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Reed Meyer wrote:

> That's interesting.  That would be like saying there's an optimum map size
> at which the importance of Wonders is maximized.

 There's lots of options and settings for freeciv and everything affects
everything. Rules I and my friends use make wonders probably (definitely
in fact) somewhat more important than standard rules. For example, with
our slow researchspeed Darwin's Voyage is usually worth almost 30 turns of
research.

> But, the expansion stage is usually near completion by the time Magellan's
> is built, right?  I guess, then, a question is whether the LIGHTHOUSE (as
> opposed to Magellan's!) is an incredibly powerful Wonder.

 Well, it makes built sea units veterans, so it gives you some edge over
enemy with same tech level. It can make difference if two players have
equally powerfull navies, but nothing game deciding really (except when
used with Magellan. Enemy can get his/her units veteran only by killing
your wounded units (or by really good luck) and your wounded units are
fast enought to escape)

> (FOR SURE, I can't recall ANY correlation between the Lighthouse and who's
> going to end up winning the game.  I personally consider the Lighthouse
> one of the most pathetic Wonders; I only consider building it to keep
> triremes from sinking, if I'm not within 3 tiles of another continent.)

 For ANY correlation: I have once won thanks to Lighthouse (2 human
players, so situation was quite simple). Map was quite broken and thus
navy had important role. It makes a difference when another fleet of
ironclads are veterans and another is not :)

 Caz