[Freeciv-Dev] Re: MP3 Patent Issues

To: Sam BC <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: MP3 Patent Issues
From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:07:22 -0400

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 02:29:02PM +0100, Sam BC <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
was heard to say:
> So, in review, there is nothing stopping use of MP3 sound in any way as long
> as the sounds/music are ENcoded in Europe or with European software.
>
> So, getting back to the very original reason for this discussion, if people
> want to start any development for sounds (reactionary fx or ambient music)
> there is no reason not to use MP3.

  It sounds to me like there's also no reason not to use Ogg Vorbis, which
(aside from having a cool name :) ) is unquestionably safe and free to use,
and has (if I remember correctly) free library implementations already.

  It's not quite finished, and not available everywhere yet, but neither is
Freeciv sound support :-)

  (probably, though, the best thing to do is to allow multiple file formats to
   be used; all we really need (I think?) is a play_foo_file_format() routine
   for each format.  if the libs aren't available, the routines can be #ifdefed
   to be NOPs)

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx> -----------------\
|    This space   |  "Oh my god!  The entire map is written in GIBBERISH!"    |