[Freeciv-Dev] Re: sound development

To: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: sound development
From: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:46:10 +0200

Hi, Tuomas,

are you interested in sound development? I would like to work at it.
Imho it's much more interesting to add sound events than bg music, as it
will help to make UI more intuitive by adding feedback.

My idea is to call something like

SOUND (pplayer, action, data1, data2)

after each interesting event like
- clicking on a unit
- giving sentry / goto / fortify etc. order to a unit
- unit attacking other unit
- famine in city
- ....

data1 and data2 would be opaque pointers to appropriate data for given
action. Or better, there would be some variants of the function for
different data types to avoid typecasting errors.

The SOUND would be a macro so it could be disabled during compilation

The sounds could be organized in either tree or mesh structure, and
described in rulesets, so you could have a sound for 'cavalry attacking
strategic bomber' or 'selecting Chinese frigate'. If we would not have
sound for 'Chinese' it would default to neutral English and frigate
would default to naval or general unit.

Any comments?

                                        Edheldil