[Freeciv-Dev] Re: sound development

To: Dan Sugalski <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: sound development
From: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 01:59:34 +0300

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 01:57:24PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> At 12:06 AM 6/23/00 +0300, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> >And there are gpl'd mp3 encoders like bladeenc, so what's really
> >the problem?
>
> The MP3 encoding scheme's patented. It doesn't matter whether there are
> encoders (or decoders, I think) under the GPL (or LGPL, or Artistic, or
> BSD, or whatever)--they're all illegal unless the authors have a license
> from the patent holder.

So mpg123 devels (and others) are criminals?

Hmm...

Actually, who do you think the lawyers would attack if we broke the law?
You or me? There is no company to attack against (which is good, of course) ;)

I think we should not be so worried about those law issues, that's just
realism.

--
kirjoitti:  Tuomas Airaksinen              linux
kotisivu:   http://tumasites.cjb.net        is