[Freeciv-Dev] Re: sound development

To: Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: sound development
From: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:06:37 +0300

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 09:01:05PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 07:56:16PM +0200, rutger@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 11:07:47PM +0300, Vasil Mantarov wrote:
> > >
> > >    Is there a possibility of including mp3s as files for ambient music
> > >    for the different fractions?
> >
> > You have GPL'd mp3s for FreeCiv?
> >
> > What would be the advantage over something like
> >   mpg123 ambient_music_for_my_fraction.mp3 & ./civ &
>
> mp3 format is patently-problematic.
>
> If anyone were interested :
>
>   There is ongoing developement of *patent-free* compresed music format
>   similar to mp3 called ogg.
>
>   Library is ready.
>   Encoder and decoder are ready for Linux,
>   in various state of porting to other OSes.
>   Plugins to all popular player are being developed,
>   and are in various state of maturity.
>
>   Licensing for library is LGPL,
>   for rest GPL.
>   Developement is open.
>
>   Compresion is usually 10% better than mp3's.
>   There are minor quality issues (being fixed every week),
>   but not visible for most of music.
>   Biggest problem is 2x-5x bigger CPU utility when decoding,
>   but it is probably only due to lack of optimalizations in
>   this state of project.
>
> URL is http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

What's so problematic in using mpg123 decoding libs?
And there are gpl'd mp3 encoders like bladeenc, so what's really
the problem?

For that matter, I find other sound effects much more important
than music (usually people prefer listening to the music they
like to game music).

--
kirjoitti:  Tuomas Airaksinen              linux
kotisivu:   http://tumasites.cjb.net        is