[Freeciv-Dev] Re: transform to/from ocean bug (patch)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: transform to/from ocean bug (patch)
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:04:06 +0200

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, Jeff Mallatt wrote:
> At 2000/05/31 17:45 , Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> >We forgot to reset the unit's activity when we moved it. This is now
> >build into move_unit().
>
> I tested this a bit, and found a couple of things.
>
> First, I had an Engineers transform a 1-square island into ocean, with a
> Transport parked next to the island.  The Engineers moved onto the
> Transport's square -- but its "carried_by" field was not changed to the ID
> of the Transport (it remained -1).  This seems wrong to me.

This is the way it works, the id is only assigned once it is needed when
the transport moves. Maybe this should be changed to always keep the info
up to date, by adding hooks into create_unit(), wipe_unit(),
upgrade_unit() and move_unit(), which can all affect them.
Note that the system works for what it does now, but is, as you can see,
not very good for new features.
I'll try a patch.

> Second, I did some "extreme terrain modification" testing.  I used my
> favorite save-file (an all-AI game, saved in 4000BC), but I modified
> terrain.ruleset to make changing land forms into Forest and into Swam and,
> finally, into Ocean very cheap (I set them all to 1).  This resulted in
> *many* "Get_def bugged" errors _even with this patch applied_ (and, this
> patch is supposed to prevent these errors).

I'll have a look.

> jjm

-Thue