[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autosettlers

To: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autosettlers
From: Thue Janus Kristensen <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 14:12:43 +0200

On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, Robert Rendell wrote:
> Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
> } This patch does:
> [snip]
> } -Stop settlers from being removed from auto even when they can find no
> } immediate work. This irritated me when I wanted to keep them on auto to
> } remove polution...
>
> Will there be any indication that the settler is doing no useful work?
> Otherwise, this might be a bad thing, because you might want to leave only
> one or two settlers on clean-up duty after they run out of things to do,
> and build or add to cities with the others, for instance.

No indication currently...

> Perhaps a settler on auto with nothing to do could come up as requesting
> orders in the client, but still stay in auto mode unless given a new
> order... or does that defeat the purpose, since you'll have to hit space on
> it every turn if you want it to wait for pollution?

Please, no user action required, that would defeat the purpose.

> Maybe add a new state, "standby-auto".  If you have inactive auto settlers
> requesting orders, hitting 's' will put one into standby-auto, and it'll
> stay like that until it finds something else to do, at which point the
> standby is cancelled and it reverts to normal auto behaviour.  Otherwise,
> if you give the inactive auto settler any other order, it cancels the auto.

I think what we need is a new field in the unit for automated tasks, ie
autosettler, autoanti-pollution etc. At least I can't see how we could
fit it into the present field. This autofield would allow it to have an
activity at the same time.
The AI already has such a field, but it isn't communicated to the client.

> } (btw I am really looking forward to roberts autosettler patch
> } going into CVS!)
>
> Thanks :)
>                                                       Have fun,
>                                                        Rob R.