[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autosettlers

To: Freeciv dev list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autosettlers
From: Robert Rendell <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:55:04 +1000 (EST)

Thue Janus Kristensen wrote:
} This patch does:
[snip]
} -Stop settlers from being removed from auto even when they can find no
} immediate work. This irritated me when I wanted to keep them on auto to
} remove polution...

Will there be any indication that the settler is doing no useful work?
Otherwise, this might be a bad thing, because you might want to leave only
one or two settlers on clean-up duty after they run out of things to do,
and build or add to cities with the others, for instance.

Perhaps a settler on auto with nothing to do could come up as requesting
orders in the client, but still stay in auto mode unless given a new
order... or does that defeat the purpose, since you'll have to hit space on
it every turn if you want it to wait for pollution?

Maybe add a new state, "standby-auto".  If you have inactive auto settlers
requesting orders, hitting 's' will put one into standby-auto, and it'll
stay like that until it finds something else to do, at which point the
standby is cancelled and it reverts to normal auto behaviour.  Otherwise,
if you give the inactive auto settler any other order, it cancels the auto.

} (btw I am really looking forward to roberts autosettler patch
} going into CVS!)

Thanks :)
                                                        Have fun,
                                                         Rob R.