Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized improvemants (PR#243)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized improvemants (PR#243)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 12:36:21 -0400

Here's another cut at the data side of generalized improvements.

I added a new file, so you'll need to run automake after patching and
before configuring/building.

I've edited all of the data/*/buildings.ruleset files.  They will need some
clean-up after the full implementation is complete.  Especially, in
civ1/buildings.ruleset there are several variant= lines (to keep the
current implementation running) that will need to be removed.  And, in all
three, the [b_special] section will need to be removed.  (I have tried to
comment everything that will need fixing.)

I added new enums and structs and members to old structs to support the new
concepts.  These appear in common/city.h.

The server reads the new ruleset information, and sends it all to the
client.  In the client, in handle_ruleset_building(), I have a bunch of
debug which dumps all the data out.  It all seems to check out.

I tried to keep the naming of things, in both the code and in the ruleset
file, consistent and clear (long enough to be descriptive and unique, but
not so long as to be annoying).  The field names exposed in the ruleset
files are the same as their corresponding struct member names.

The named effects are normalized: a single named effect has a single,
"atomic" affect.  This should make designing new rulesets much easier.
Parameters to effects are interpreted consistently.

I also did some clean-up and rearrangement in ruleset.c and (a little) in
map.c.

This patch should have no affect on the game, it just adds a bunch of data
that isn't used.  I've done one regression test, and it didn't exhibit any
changes.

jjm