Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized improvemants (PR#243)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: generalized improvemants (PR#243)
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 08:28:45 -0400

At 2000/05/03 22:52 , =?BIG5?B?vbKr7bXY?= wrote:
>Is Make_Content_Mil meant for Police/Sufferage? (they Make_Content in the
patch)

Yes.  However, when I looked at the code, it seemd to do something weird.

Thinking about it again, Police/Sufferage should be changed to
Make_Content_Mil, and we'll figure out how to implement it either
conformant to Civ2 rules or conformant to current code (this will take some
investigation).

>Would Spy_Resistant obsoletes sabotage?

Spy_Resistant is for when a Spy *specifies* a target.  It does not apply
when the Spy lets the target be picked randomly, or for Diplomats (who
can't specify a target -- it's always random for them).

sabotage applies to both Spies and Diplomats and is a fundamental, "can
s/he do this at all?" test.  Wonders and the Palace are sabotage=0, all
others are sabotage=100 (Civ2 rules).

>effect.cond_eff might lead to endless recursion.

Caveat Implementor ;-)

>Client might not be able to report production of Prod_To_Gold percent.

Why not?

>Might want to add effect.aff_unit = { "None", "Air", "Heli", "Land",
"Misl", "Sea" }
>for _Defend, _Move, _No_Lose_Pop, _Recover, _Repair, _Vet_Combat and
_Veteran.

This doesn't really make any functional difference for the _Defend, &c.
effects, but it adds the posibility of restricting other effects.

Also, I do think I like it better on a purely subjective level.

So, I'll make this change, also.

>Reveal_Cities and Reveal_Map can be combined to depend on AMOUNT.

True, but I prefer two names.  (A subjective preference.)

>Use #include civ2/buildings.ruleset in default/buildings.ruleset

They will eventually be different.  The ultimate goal is for Freeciv to
grow beyond Civ2.  (Civ2 compliance is merely a convenient near-term goal.)

>IMHO, all the Upgrade_Units are too powerful.

Are you saying that you believe the current Freeciv implementation of
Leonardo's Workshop is too powerful?  I believe the current code implements
Upgrade_Units AMOUNT=2 type.

--

I hope to have an updated patch, with the above changes, posted within 24
hours.

jjm