Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: Tactics of burned land

To: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuma@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: Tactics of burned land
From: Sean Connor <sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:33:48 -0600

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 10:59:24PM +0300, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> > Something else that could happen:  If you burn a city, it's possible that
> > some of the inhabitants could escape.  Thus, create a 'refugee' unit.  Since
> > these people are obviously not going to be too pleased with you, make it so
> > that an enemy unit can convert them into a settler for their civilization.
> > If the refugee unit isn't converted or destroyed within several turns, it
> > could found a barbarian city.
>
> Sounds nice to me... Hmm. so we couldn't help creating a new unit?

Well, certainly your original proposal is doable without introducing a new
unit.  I'm not so sure about my addition to it, though.  It might be
possible; it's just that introducing the extra unit seemed the most
straightforward way of doing it to me.  Perhaps someone else could think of
some way of accomplishing the same thing without introducing a new unit.

--
  -Sean Connor  (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                (sec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence that it
is not utterly absurd; indeed, in view of the silliness of the
majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more often likely to be
foolish than sensible.
                -- Bertrand Russell