Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Clarifications on Civ2 Isometric Tileset

To: sigra@xxxxxxx, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Clarifications on Civ2 Isometric Tileset
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:00:51 +0200

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 03:55:06PM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:

> I never had any adapting problems with isometric/overhead views because the
> directions on the screen match the directions of the arrow keys in both
> cases. Some periods I play overhead games, some periods I play isometric
> games so have both systems in my fingers. However I make occational mistakes
> too due to whatever. The workaround for this is saving often and loading
> after a moving mistake. A much better solution would be an <b>undo
> command</b> easily accessible thorugh a keyboard command.

You must consider that Freeciv was designed specifically for
human-to-human play.  It is 'almost real time'; reloading and undo are
out of the question.  Also, the Freeciv interface allows much faster
play.  I wonder how they ever managed to turn Civ II into a multiplayer
game; was it turn-based?  If so, did anybody ever manage to *finish*
a game?

> play by email when players don't do their turns simultaneously.
> I'm not a programmer but i think this seems to be a rather easy to implement
> feature.

A patch is in the works, or has already been submitted to this list,
to allow this.  Has anybody tested it?

--
Reinier Post