Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Clarifications on Civ2 Isometric Tileset

To: yoohootim@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Clarifications on Civ2 Isometric Tileset
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:34:34 EDT

(2)  Isometric means you are not confined to a single tileset!
There are dozens if not hundreds of megabytes of art created for >Civ2. Players can swap in whatever graphics patch or combination of >graphics they want. Civ2 supports the design of scenarios, so there >are graphics sets created for very specific worlds, for instance the >American Civil War, Hannibal's campaign, or Star Wars environments. Ideally the FreeCiv client would also allow the player to use >alternate graphics files..

Actually, Freeciv does support alternative tilesets and other graphic files. And it should be able to support Scenarios (Mod Packs) in the near future, if not already.

(3)  Gridlines
The screenshots of my graphics were created with Civ 2's optional
gridlines turned off (I think most play it that way).  I will try to
post an image which shows what it looks like with gridlines toggled >on - they make movement much easier until you are accustomed to the >isometric view.

I always play with the gridlines turned on, even with the overhead view of Freeciv (yes, there are optional gridlines in Freeciv too :-). I had some problem adapting to the isometric view of Civ2 because the sense of direction has changed, i.e. movement up/down/left/right in the isometric view would have been diagnal in the overhead view, so I kept pressing the wrong keys on the numpad. Of course I got used to it after a couple of games, but I still make occasional mistakes due to force of habit.

(4)  Bit Depth (amount of colors)
The graphics you saw are GIF files, but in actuality this does not
matter as the relatively primitive Civ2 graphic engine is far more
restrictive that the GIF format. I don't know the exact number, but >I think Civ2 only allows use of a few dozen colors (only three reds, >for instance). My original graphics files were created as 24-bit, so >they could look better in a game system which supported a greater bit >depth.

That's certainly good news because Freeciv doesn't impose that kind of restrictions.

Mike