Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Clarifications on Civ2 Isometric Tileset

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: yoohootim@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Clarifications on Civ2 Isometric Tileset
From: Stephen Hodge <stephenh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:35:31 +1000

Mike Jing wrote:
> >(3)  Gridlines
> >The screenshots of my graphics were created with Civ 2's optional
> >gridlines turned off (I think most play it that way).  I will try to
> >post an image which shows what it looks like with gridlines toggled >on -
> >they make movement much easier until you are accustomed to the >isometric
> >view.
>
> I always play with the gridlines turned on, even with the overhead view of
> Freeciv (yes, there are optional gridlines in Freeciv too  :-).  I had some
> problem adapting to the isometric view of Civ2 because the sense of
> direction has changed, i.e. movement up/down/left/right in the isometric
> view would have been diagnal in the overhead view, so I kept pressing the
> wrong keys on the numpad.  Of course I got used to it after a couple of
> games, but I still make occasional mistakes due to force of habit.

When I first started playing CivII I played with gridlines on all the time.
Now that I'm completely comfortable with moving in the isometric view I play
with gridlines on in the initial part of the game when I'm building a lot of
cities and have the off the rest of the time. It makes the display a lot
better looking in CivII with gridlines off.

Regards,
Steve Hodge