Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (unfinished)patch: improved trade and commodities.rul

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (unfinished)patch: improved trade and commodities.ruleset
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:49:25 -0500

At 2000/03/25 16:53 , Sebastian Bauer wrote:
>I'm actually working on the civ2 like trade (commodities.ruleset)
>The idea was by Jeff, he also created the commodities.ruleset.
>
>You can find that (alpha) patch at:
># ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/#imprv-trade.diff.gz

I added an Xaw and Gtk implementation.  The new, combined patch is at:
    <ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/incoming/imprv-trade-1.diff.gz>

I haven't taken time to really test anything.

>Problems and TODO:
> - civ1 and old save game compatiblity (maybe by writing a special
>   commodities.ruleset)

I included a civ1/commodities.ruleset, but I haven't tested it at all --
and I'm pretty sure the code doesn't handle it correctly.

> - actually the supply routes do nothing (expect food supply route),
>   I don't know when the production and trade shields should be added.
>   Also if a supply route would lead to negative values the route
>   should be removed. But I've no idea how to to this (I've haven't
>   tought about it enough, maybe there is a easy solution). The problem
>   is if the supply route is removed the matching incoming supply from
>   the other city must be removed (and this already could have proccessed
>   the end turn calcs and used the extra supply). I would be appreciate
>   for any helps.

I really do *not* want supply routes to be automagically removed.  If the
source city cannot provide something, then simply don't add it to the
destination city's production that turn (also, send a message).  It would
really annoy me to have to reconstruct supply routes just because of some
supply transient.  We should try to minimize micromanagement.

>I removed the trade button and now display the information inside the
>window (get_city_trade_text() is used for the text).

I did it differently in the Xaw and Gtk clients -- the Trade button is
always active, and it opens a Trade Report dialog.  The City Dialog is not
otherwise altered.  This isn't better, just easier ;-)  The goal was to get
to the point where everyone could start testing as soon as possible.

jjm