Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (unfinished)patch: improved trade and commodities.rul

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (unfinished)patch: improved trade and commodities.ruleset
From: Brian Duff <bduff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:39:24 +0100

Reinier Post wrote:

> The problem is, in human to human games, it takes too much time.
> I've never used a caravan for anything but wonder building.
>
> But an autocaravan mode for cities (city builds caravan, selects target city,
> sends caravan on its way with goto) could resolve this problem.

I kind of like the Civ: Call To Power way of doing this. You still build
caravans
and trade commodities as before, but there is no caravan unit. Once you build a
caravan, the game keeps track of how many free caravans you have, and you can
just assign trade routes from a dialog. Of course Civ:CTP has all sorts of other
stuff, like the ability to break trade routes by piracy, but this requires
physically representing the trade routes on the map.

Brian