Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv news server

To: garfy@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Freeciv Developer <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv news server
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23 Mar 2000 10:08:24 -0600

Egbert Hinzen <egbert@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> IMHO this is a very good idea!
>
> The traffic at this list has become to much to be handled by a mailing
> list usefully (more than 200 every week).

Actually, this still remains as a fairly small list.  Some of the
lists I'm on get twice that much traffic.  Per day.  :-)

You might want to look at the DIGEST feature.  This groups a bunch of
messages togehter then sends them to you as one.  You can then read
this big message.  Or, most mail readers can split it back out into
its constituent parts again.

You can enable digest for yourself by writing to listar@xxxxxxxxxxx
and in the body of your messgae, say:

  set freeciv-dev digest

> I don't want to get all of them and a news server would give me the chance
> to select messages / follow threads I might be interested in.
>
> If you don't like to set up an own news server at freeciv.org, it should
> be no problem to create (a) standard internet news group(s).

I can set it up.  This is not a problem.  However last time it was
brought up there was not much support.  I am, however, unwilling to
have it gatewayed in any way to the Usenet at large.  That is too much
of a spam magnet.  Keeping it disconnected from any other servers
means that there is not much chance of spam.

-- John