Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: server hangs

To: Mark Hayden <hayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: server hangs
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:57:15 +0000 (WET)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Mark Hayden wrote:

> Reinier Post wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 at 10:27:52PM -0800, Mark Hayden wrote:

(snip...snip...)

> The current version of the code under CVS doesn't appear to
> block, but will now drop random data in the connection stream,
> which I believe can then cause anything to happen, such as a
> server/client crash.

Well, the server shouldn't drop random data like you say, but it could do
incomplete writes to a client.  That could cause data to be mangled.
Anyway, if that's your problem, we could just close the socket from the
server to the client in case of a write failure, and make the client clean
up his buffer, if this isn't done already.

BTW: could you try to run the server with a higher log level and send the
output when the bug arrises freeciv-dev?

> > Another idea I've been thinking of: a Freeciv echo packet
> > (might use an existing packet type).  The server could do
> > a 'Freeciv ping' to all clients, and clients could do the
> > same to servers, even before being connected.
>
> I think this is a good idea.

---