Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] server hangs

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] server hangs
From: Mark Hayden <hayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:27:52 -0800

Are the people on this list aware that the server has
a tendency to hang for 10-20 minutes when playing with
large numbers of clients?  I see all this traffic about
various play features, but nothing regarding the fact
that the server has this serious bug.  I would say that
fixing these problems would improve the game a 100 times more
than adding tribal gods or whatever else, because it
would make the game playable.

Imagine getting 10 people to join a game,
playing for an hour, and then having the game break up
because the server hangs for 20 minutes.  I bet
this turns alot of people off from the game.

A likely cause of the problem was described in a bug report
I posted over 2 weeks ago, #280, for which I have seen only
one message on this list.  I haven't seen any other traffic
related to fixing server hangs.

Also, perhaps it would make sense to add a timer in the server
to watch for hangs and report them in a log.

--Mark