Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG (?) REPORT

To: Steven Burnap <sburnap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: BUG (?) REPORT
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:00:32 +0000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 06:14:57AM -0800, Steven Burnap wrote:
> At 08:56 AM 3/3/00 +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> > > If in a city there is nobody, and i buy a phalanx in it. and the
> > > attacker is in auto-goto state into the city. if now the turn ends,
> > > will he just walk in or will he fight against the phalanx ?
> >
> >The unit will fight.  I often buy units to defend my cities, and it
> >often works, so I'm assuming that in cases where it doesn't, there
> >were really two attacking units.
>
> This is different from Civ2, BTW, because of the turn order.
> Because turns aren't simultaneous in that game, you can never
> buy or build your way out of a pending city takover.
>
> I much prefer the freeciv way, though it makes it a little harder to
> conquer enemy cities this way.

FWIW, I don't prefer this.  I think it gives the defender a silly advantage.
Someone with unlimited funds shouldn't be able to 'spirit' a defending unit
out of the air in no time like this...

Just MHO...

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable