Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2000:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Very preliminary auth patch ready but not available

To: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Very preliminary auth patch ready but not available
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 09:34:37 -0500

At 2000/03/03 09:16 , Daniel Burrows wrote:
>  The reason I don't include the patch in this message is twofold: first, the
>patch is way too large for this list (>50k) -- can I upload it to
>ftp.freeciv.org/pub/incoming? -- and second, I'm having some technical
problems
>with the diff -- I generally use 'cvs diff' to produce patches, but this time
>I'm running into trouble due to the fact that I added a number of files to
>the source tree, and can't seem to get the diff to include them.  Is it
possible
>to convince 'cvs diff' to do this for me, should I fall back to checking
out a
>separate source tree and using non-CVS diff, or would including these
files in a
>targz with the patch be sufficient?

Uploading large patches to <ftp.freeciv.org/pub/incoming/> is the correct
thing to do.

Hum.  I generally 'diff' against a separate, local directory that I keep
synchronized to the CVS; doing a "diff -ruN" includes the new files.
According to the CVS info pages, "cvs diff -uN" should also include new
files -- but I just tried it, and it doesn't work!  So, either keep a
separate, CVS-synchronized directory against which to do diffs, or bundle
the new files with the cvs-diff into a .tar.gz file.  Either way should be
fine.

jjm