[Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea

To: dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea
From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:12:07 +0100 (MET)

> Yes good. What we should do is purposly put mistakes in it. Then Everyone
> will start posting fixes =)
> So all that needs to be done is fix the help so that it can display a
> "large" or "small" text.

Yeah.  At least it seems to me that nobody disagree with "my" plans (which
I probably have taken from the good old commercial civilization - though I
cannot remember), so I guess we can proceed - meaning that somebody will
have to "upgrade" the help, and that we need to decide where and how to
include this information in the source.

The easiest would be to just add one or two attributes to the rulesets.
Like data/default/buildings.ruleset (pseudo-unified-diff :)    :

[building_darwins_voyage]
name        = _("Darwin's Voyage")
tech_req    = "Railroad"
obsolete_by = "None"
is_wonder   = 1
build_cost  = 300
upkeep      = 0
variant     = 0
+historytext = _("\
 Charles Darwin was heading out with his ship Beagle in the 19th\
 century to make a survey on the species.  He put out his theories\
 about evolution in the work The Origin of Species (1859/60) which\
 inspired greater confidence in science. Charles Darwin was British.\
")
+historyurls = _("http://www.literature.org/authors/darwin-charles/";)
helptext    = _("\
-Charles Darwin's voyage sparked the discovery of the evolution\
- of the species, which inspired greater confidence in science.\
 Gives two immediate technology advances.\
")

The "better" way to do it is to mark up the history notes in XML, but it's
probably more hazzle ... and also, the help should be a simple help, not a
web browser ... or?  Cross-references would be nice in the help?  Maybe
it's possible to "steal" some mozilla-code or similar? Well, _that_
certainly sounds like hazzle.. :)

--
Tobias Brox (alias TobiX) - sysguy - +4722925871 - http://www.funcom.com/
If an _urgent_ email is not acted upon within 10 minutes, you might try