[Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea

To: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea
From: dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:19:23 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Tobias Brox wrote:

> > I take it you want to help me in my quest =)
>
> To fill out some historical informations?  Yeah, some bits here and some
> bits there - but first we'll have to decide where and how to put this
> information, and how much it should be.
>
> The idea about stating why is a good one ... but I think my vision about
> separating clearly the more technical game information and the history
> might break a bit with it.
>
> And how much?  Well, as previous stated - this shouldn't be a complete
> history reference, this shouldn't even resemble the real history
> course, this should just be a game.  Just some few 4-8 lines about each
> thing, including when and where they appeared in real life, and by whom.
> And of course the history text must provide enough information so it
> becomes clear why it behaves the way it does.  I also think it might be
> smart to put up URLs as "further reading".  Maybe they should be clickable
> as well, fire up an external browser, but I guess it might be a bit
> complex (different configurations, etc).

Yeah That is what I was thinking of... and maybe... a picture =)

> > Cities? wow =) now that would be cool.... but very hard. I think that
> > would have to be a seperate project =). How much on each city? a
> > paragraph?
>
> As above.  Just some few 4-8 lines about each thing, including when and
> where they appeared in real life, whom created the city and where it is
> now (i.e. Holmgard was Swedish, but now it's Russian (Novgorod).  Helsinki
> was founded by the russians if I'm not mistaken.  Now it's Finnish. etc)
> It should also contain the number of inhabitants in year 2000, and
> a list of which of the in-game "wonders" that can be contributed to this
> city, and maybe some more major historical events - and links to the web
> as well.

That would be good... I think it wouldn't be too hard to get that sort of
info... even a web search might turn up something =). Again maybe a
picture and an indication of how big they are now...

> > also.. in freeciv each city is not like how it turned out in
> > life. I mean... Melbourne (Australian im sorry) started off next to the
> > sea... what would happen if it started inland? would the text still be
> > true? Good idea none the less =)
>
> My idea was to clearly distinguish information about real life and real
> history and information related to the game, so that the game doesn't
> match the real thing doesn't matter.  Anyway, maybe it might be an idea to
> add some notes to the ruleset about the cities, so it will suggest coastal
> citynames to costal cities, etc
>
> By the way - I guess almost all cities are located either nearby the sea
> or by some larger river.  If we want a game with historical correctness,
> we should seriously consider either simple trade bonuses for beeing
> located by the sea or a large river, or it should be made _a lot_ easier
> to make sea/river-going trade routes.  Shipping has always been a lot more
> important to international trading than railways, roads, airplanes and
> space ships, and I guess it will be so in quite some few years ahead as
> well :)  Anyway, as far as I've understood it, it has always been a
> greater priority to get as much up to civilization as possible than to be
> historical correct.

Yeah. One of our inland cities has a port =)

> > > A good thought, I think.  I'm a bit annoyed about defending against a
> > > "modern" army by forts and city walls ... after all, those things have
> > > almost nothing but historical significance in the modern military.
> >
> > Yeah.... and it takes a howitzer to get over a wall =) and yet armours and
> > catapults can't fire over them =)
>
> In the modern times, underground shelters has taken over the role of the
> forts - and they can resist both catapults, armours, artillery (just look
> at Grozny - as far as I've understood the situation the russians are
> attacking it over and over again by artillery - but it doesn't help very
> much, the rebels just go underground) and even bombers. They even said we
> were safe from a nuclear attack when I was in the service.

Yeah, actually scrap that... We can assume that a fortified rifleman is
entrenched...
And there are several forts still in action at the moment that are working
perfectly well....

> > p.s. (hello tobiX, long time no play, give me a mail if ya want a
> > game  =))
>
> Not this weekend ... but maybe next week.

Heh... okay =)