[Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea

To: dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea
From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:58:45 +0100 (MET)

> Takes alot of extra work... and alot of research... but I would be willing
> to help out with that....

But then again, there are a great advantage with a free game here, over
a commercial game - we don't have to have a deadline, we're not going to
push out some hundred of thousand boxes into the shops that can't be
superceded.  People knowing some history might be annoyed when they find
things that are historically incorrect, or things that are missing.  When
they have payed for a game, they should be more annoyed.  Since freeciv is
free/open source they might fix up and add bits by themselves.

The important thing now is just to get some concensus about how and where
such information should be placed.  I think it might be nice to have it in
the help, but the "historical, game independent" information must be
clearly distinguished from the hard facts about how things behave in the
game ...  and I also think it might be considered to have a section about
information about cities.

I also think pointers to the web might be appropriate.  After all, this
shouldn't be a complete history guide.

> i was wondering about trenching... ie WWII when you get conscription..
> instead of forts you build trenches? Just a tought

A good thought, I think.  I'm a bit annoyed about defending against a
"modern" army by forts and city walls ... after all, those things have
almost nothing but historical significance in the modern military.

--
Tobias Brox (alias TobiX) - sysguy - +4722925871 - http://www.funcom.com/
If an _urgent_ email is not acted upon within 10 minutes, you might try