[Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea

To: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: History educational idea
From: dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:24:18 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Tobias Brox wrote:
I take it you want to help me in my quest =)

> > Takes alot of extra work... and alot of research... but I would be willing
> > to help out with that....
>
> But then again, there are a great advantage with a free game here, over
> a commercial game - we don't have to have a deadline, we're not going to
> push out some hundred of thousand boxes into the shops that can't be
> superceded.  People knowing some history might be annoyed when they find
> things that are historically incorrect, or things that are missing.  When
> they have payed for a game, they should be more annoyed.  Since freeciv is
> free/open source they might fix up and add bits by themselves.

Yes of course.... that is why Freeciv is the best game out there IMHO =)

> The important thing now is just to get some concensus about how and where
> such information should be placed.  I think it might be nice to have it in
> the help, but the "historical, game independent" information must be
> clearly distinguished from the hard facts about how things behave in the
> game ...  and I also think it might be considered to have a section about
> information about cities.

Yes... as I said in a previous post... Wouldn't it be good to be able to
explain why it does something too... ie Why does Apollo Allow a player to
be able to see all cities... because of spy satelites... something like
that.

Cities? wow =) now that would be cool.... but very hard. I think that
would have to be a seperate project =). How much on each city? a
paragraph? also.. in freeciv each city is not like how it turned out in
life. I mean... Melbourne (Australian im sorry) started off next to the
sea... what would happen if it started inland? would the text still be
true? Good idea none the less =)

> I also think pointers to the web might be appropriate.  After all, this
> shouldn't be a complete history guide.

I totally agree... Web pages suck to incorperate... especially into a game
=)

> > i was wondering about trenching... ie WWII when you get conscription..
> > instead of forts you build trenches? Just a thought
>
> A good thought, I think.  I'm a bit annoyed about defending against a
> "modern" army by forts and city walls ... after all, those things have
> almost nothing but historical significance in the modern military.

Yeah.... and it takes a howitzer to get over a wall =) and yet armours and
catapults can't fire over them =)

Darth bob

p.s. (hello tobiX, long time no play, give me a mail if ya want a
game  =))